Emil Weis - History

More than a hundred years of incomparable service in opal

 

How it all began

At the beginning of the 20th century the first stone cutters from Idar-Oberstein bought boxes filled with rough pieces of opal, which were in fact ballast on the sailing ships traveling from Australia to Europe.

From this raw material they cut the first opals in one of the stone cutting watermills in Idar-Oberstein. The brothers Emil and Otto Weis were part of this first group of opal cutters. Their workspace was at the Hohl-Jacobs-Mill at the bridge in Kirschweiler.

In 1905 they decided to found their own firm in today’s “Opal Village” Kirschweiler and it was one of the very first opal-cutting factories in the gemstone-cutting city of Idar-Oberstein. The goal of the Weis brothers was to offer the finest opal to their customers – not an easy task in those days. A constant presence at the opal fields, good relations with miners, regular journeys for the purchase of raw material, and a profound knowledge of their work were as important then as they are today. The long history in the opal business accounts for the precise work and competent commercial dealing of Emil Weis Opals to this day.
And so a story of success began, which Emil Weis Opals has been writing for more than a hundred years …